The Redblacks announced their cuts on Saturday morning, just hours after they played their final pre-season game against the Montreal Alouettes.
General Manager Marcel Desjardins declared 14 cuts to the team’s final roster, with veteran kicker Justin Parlardy and National receiver Simon LeMarquand among the most notable.
Desjardins also announced that National receiver Steven Adu, International DB Parker Orms, International LB Devin Arrington, National DL Stephon Miller, International DL Dimetrio Tyson, International kicker Paolo Henriques, National OL Brendan Dunn, National OL Aaron Wheaton, International WR Taulib Ikharo, International WR Travon Patterson, National receiver Aaron Hargreaves, and National OL James Lee have all been released.
A few notes & thoughts on the these moves:
– The signing of former Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Import International K Brett Maher last week was certainly an indication that Redblacks brass were looking for more at the kicker/punter position, but still surprising to see Palardy let go. Though not as critical as it once was, CFL teams definitely look at the K position as one best filled by Canadians from a quota standpoint. A tough day punting against the Alouettes on Friday May have sealed Palardy’s fate.
UPDATE (11:22 PM): Per Gord Holder of the Ottawa Citizen, the Redblacks have also cut Brett Maher. As it stands tonight, there are no kickers on the active roster. Expect one or two signings within the next day.
– Le Marquand was a highly trumpeted signing for the Redblacks in the spring, what with him being a Gatineau boy and former Ottawa Gee Gee. But the WR was in tough to make the squad at that position and likely had to stand out on special teams to make the team. Appears he was not able to do so in two pre-season games.
– Wheaton, from the University of Toronto, was the Redblacks 4th round (28th overall) selection and Miller, a University of Windsor grad, was their 6th round (46th overall) selection in the 2014 CFL Canadian Draft on May 13th. Bit surprising neither was offered a practise roster position, although a very clear indication the Redblacks are building a roster more focused on the present, not the future.
– Adu, a graduate of the University Of Toronto, may best be remembered for the shout-out he got from Toronto Mayor Rob Ford upon his signing with the Redblacks.
– Patterson was the receiving end of a 60-yard touchdown pass & run in the Redblacks inaugural preseason game against SSK. Apparently wasn’t enough to earn a spot with the club.
– Lee was selected in the first round of the Redblacks expansion draft, held in December of last year, from the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Another somewhat surprising cut, but clearly the Redblacks were able to find players they liked as much or better via free agency.
VIDEO: GM Marcel Desjardins and coach Rick Campbell on today’s cuts (via CFL.ca)
Ten additional players will be offered practise roster spots (and it appears Jasper Simmons is one of them), and a handful of others will be placed on injured reserve, though neither list has yet been announced by the team.
UPDATE (10:25 AM): The Redblacks have confirmed their practise roster and injured list. List includes:
Simmons, Jasper LB (International) Robinson, Jermaine DB (International) Hayes, Michael RB (International) Medeiros, Robin WR (National)
Desmarais , Hugo OL (National)
Forgette, Steven OT (International)
Rouse, Fred WR (International)
Carter, Matt WR (National)
Mitchell, Carlton WR (International)
Lewis, Monte DL (International)
Jones, Reggie DB (International)
Verdone, Jordan LB (National)
McCuller, Jeraill T (International)
Eppele, Joe OL (National)
Evans, Zack DL (National)
No doubt a tough day for all these athletes. Here’s hoping we see some of them get another chance here or elsewhere.
3 thoughts on “Cut-down day: Redblacks trim roster by 14 (EDIT: 15)”
Interested to see how this plays out, by my count there are 10 dline on the active roster, and 6 oline. Seems like that could be addressed prior to the first games, not to mention a kicker
They need a kicker and I hope they don’t have to trade to get one.
Sounds like 4 free agents are in town, including Luca Congi. Doubt the team would trade at this point, unless they can get a name kicker.